Monday, May 7, 2012

Graffiti as Art

Deutsche Welle recently reported on how graffiti can - and should - be preserved and protected by city and state authorities as art. According to this story, Germany has taken steps to conserve graffiti, as have Switzerland and Great Britain.

This reminds me of one summer when I visited a cousin in Hamburg as a recent college graduate (I had just spent four glorious years at McGill University in Montreal - je me souviens!) with my brother in the 1990's. There were these funny kinda smiley faces spray painted all over the city. Later, I heard, the guy behind the smiley faces was caught. Although these were less dramatic, creative and accomplished than many of the rare works highlighted in the Deutsche Welle story, they did prompt me at the time to put a smile on my face whenever I saw them.

No comments:

Post a Comment