Friday, March 30, 2012

Cool Building @ Manhattan

This building caught my eye as a work of art when I was strolling around Manhattan last weekend. Located in the NoHo area east of Washington Square and NYU, it was partially covered in a kind of free-flowing, sculptural "latticework" of sorts that was reminiscent of the organic, swirly stylings of Art Nouveau, but reinterpreted for a 21st-century urban setting.

Organic "latticework" just outside the building (Photos by Karen Carstens)
Front entrance with "latticwork" on either side
"Latticework" adjacent to front entrance
Mirrorred surface with a pattern that mimicks the "latticework"
Peering through the "latticework" on to the street
More of the mirrored surface
More of the grey "latticework"
A different type of mirrored surface
Somehow I also photographed myself taking photographs of this really cool building with my UMD iPod.

Karen Carstens (Photos by Karen Carstens)
I decided to play around with this image with Photoshop, making it "grainier" (ie "adding noise") ...


... as well as converting it into a black-and-white version. The sky really is the limit with Photoshop!



Here are some more of those funky "reflections" ...


As I lingered around the building and snapped these pics with my UMD student-issued iPod, a couple of young urban hipster types walked by. They also stopped and stared at the building for a minute. Then I heard one of them knowingly tell the other something along the lines of "Ah, yes, this is clearly by (so-and-so)."


But I did not, alas, quite catch the name of the artist or architect he was referring to.

It was a blustery day.

No comments:

Post a Comment