Friday, March 23, 2012

Snapshot of Snapshot @ The Phillips

So I made it to the Phillips Collection for an excellent art talk yesterday, which I have not had much time to blog about today.

Suffice it to say for now that the Snapshot exhibition is a rare treat because it not only involves some great paintings by post-Impressionist masters such as Vuillard and Bonnard, but it juxtaposes these with original photographs taken by the artists with the earliest Kodak cameras ever made. (Kodak, alas, declared bankruptcy just about a week before the show opened!)

As one of the curators who spoke at the March 22 art talk I attended underscored, this is a truly unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see these photos up close - and adjacent to the paintings by the artists that were sometimes inspired by them - before they go back into the "vaults" of family or museum archives. (Most of the images were culled by the exhibit's curators directly from the descendants of the artists in Europe.)

I plan to expound more on this exhibit at a later date - right now, however, I would like to recommend it to eveyone who is in DC right now - go see it! (I implore thee!)

No comments:

Post a Comment