Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Funky Stuff @ artexpo New York (Part Trois!)

Among the many interesting exhibition spaces filled by the works of a single artist at the artexpo was that of Sophie Dervieux, who creates eye-popping 3-D wall art using a technique she developed together with her father that references nature and celebrities via photos and collages she whips up into unique "wall sculptures."

Brigitte Bardot takes center stage in this piece by Sophie Dervieux (Photos by Karen Carstens)

I had to stop and admire how she makes everything from sea turtles to tigers to Brigitte Bardot "come to life" via this fun technique. (Bardot, ever the animal activist, would surely approve of the nature element. Obviously cute housepets and greeting card motifs were, however, conspicuously absent from Dervieux's exhibition space at the artexpo. I found her work cute, but still witty and original.)

I LOVE this panda piece by Dervieux - I had to photograph this for my Mom, who is a panda FANATIC!

So here are a few samples of Dervieux's work, which I photographed with her permission - as long as I link back to her website, which I've done in the first graf of this blogpost and will do again right here, just for good measure!

Marilyn Monroe and Brigitte Bardot, as re-imagined by Sophie Dervieux

So here are a few samples of Dervieux's work, which I photographed with her permission - as long as I link back to her website, which I've done in the first graf of this blogpost and will do again right here, just for good measure!

Sophie Dervieux and her 3-D creations at the artexpo in New York (as MM and BB look on in the background...)

Sophie's cute panda looks quite content ... (detail)
 
In Sophie's World, a tiger might morph halfway into a fish ... (detail).  A full image of this work - minus camera glare - is visible on her website.

No comments:

Post a Comment